Essential oils have many health benefits that will help to improve your quality of life. They can help you sleep better, improve your mood, reduce anxiety and depression and increase your energy level. They are also used to help treat a number of medical issues because certain oils can aid the digestive system, clear congestion and boost the immune system among other things. Five of the most popular ways to use essential oils are discussed below.
Use Essential Oils in a Diffuser
An essential oil diffuser is a device used to diffuse and disperse the oils so the aroma fills the air. They break down and scatter the diffused oils throughout the room. Diffusers clean and freshen the air while helping to create a relaxing environment.
Here are the four main types of diffusers:
- Evaporative Diffusers – Place a few drops of oil on the filter and the built-in fan will evaporate the oil while dispersing the aroma throughout the room.
- Heat Diffusers – Instead of using a fan to evaporate and disperse the oils, these diffusers uses heat. Some use candles for the heat and others use electricity.
- Nebulizing Diffusers – These diffusers disperse the oil in its purest form and they have a strong aroma. They’re designed to pump the oil up through a tube and then scatter it through the air in a fine mist.
- Humidifying or Ultrasonic Diffusers– These use water and electronic frequencies to break down the oil. The tiny particles are then sprayed into the air as a cool mist.
Each type of diffuser comes in a wide variety of shapes, sizes and colors. When choosing an essential oil diffuser, consider where you plan to use it, for what purpose and how strong of an aroma you want.
Use Essential Oils For Massage
Getting a massage is relaxing and does wonders for your mental and emotional state. Getting a massage with essential oils can enhance the experience. Massage therapy using oil based essential oil blends are used to relieve stress, anxiety, migraines, insomnia, arthritis, muscular and joint pain and to soothe the nervous system.
Use Essential Oils For Inhalation
Inhaling essential oils is a common method used to treat congestion caused by the common cold or flu and for other respiratory problems. This method is also used to relieve headaches, enhance your mental or emotional state and as a skin treatment.
Here are four ways to inhale essential oils:
- Aromatic spritzers – Combine a few drops of oil with water and pour the mixture in a spray bottle. When you’re ready to use, simply spray the mixture in the air and inhale.
- Facial steams – Put a few drops of essential oil in a bowl of hot water, cover your head with a large towel allowing it to drop down around the bowl, close your eyes and breathe in the steam.
- Direct inhalation – This refers to inhaling the aroma of the essential oils directly from the bottle, your palm, a cloth, on your pillow or on a cotton ball.
- Aromatherapy inhaler – Purchase a blank inhaler designed especially for essential oils. Add a few drops of oil and use as an inhaler.
When using the inhalation methods, avoid prolonged exposure to the oils because overexposure can cause dizziness, nausea, headaches and fatigue. Test for allergic reactions before applying oils directly to the skin when using the palm inhalation method.
Use Essential Oil In Baths
Essential oil baths are great for treating circulatory problems, stress, pain, insomnia and nervous tension. They are also good for treating certain skin conditions, respiratory problems and menstrual pain. The oils must be mixed with a dispersant such as an aromatic bath salt or Epsom salt before adding to your bath water. Milk, sesame oil or similar emulsifier will also disperse the oils safely into the water. Never add pure essential oils to your bathwater because they are not water soluble.
Use Essential Oils For Topical Applications
Essential oils are applied topical through lotions, creams and compresses. Facial lotions and creams are used to increase circulation, slow aging, fade scar tissue and regenerate skin cells. They can also soften and soothe dry, cracked skin and improve your skin tone. Essential oil compresses are used to treat wounds, bruises, aches and pains and certain skin conditions.
If you’re new to aromatherapy, a good way to begin is with a diffuser while you learn more about the different types of essential oils, what they are used for and how to use them safely. Then you can try some of the other ways to use essential oils to improve your overall health and well-being.