Choosing the best essential oils for skin conditions can make a huge difference in your life. Skin conditions are annoying, uncomfortable and embarrassing to say the least. They affect more than just your skin and if left untreated, they can escalate to a point that they begin interfering with your life. A serious skin condition can cause low self-esteem and even keep you from socializing with your closest friends. Some conditions can turn into major health issues if not treated, so finding ways to take care of these problems is important.
Using an essential oil for skin care is not a new concept but you may not be familiar with the effects these oils can have on the following skin conditions:
- Dry, rough skin
- Athlete’s foot
- Age spots
Dealing with any skin condition is tough, but you do have a variety of treatment options that can help make life a little more enjoyable.
How to Treat Skin Conditions
The best method for treating skin conditions depends on your particular problem. If you’re not certain of what is causing that rash, see your doctor. Once you know for sure the cause, then you can proceed with a treatment plan.
According to WebMD, the following treatment options are most frequently used for common skin conditions:
- Retinoids – treats acne, comes in the form of creams and gels
- Corticosteroids – treats eczema, comes in the form of lotion, cream, ointment, foam and sometimes injections
- Benzoyl Peroxide – treats acne, comes in various creams and gels
- Antifungal Agents – treats ringworm and athlete’s foot, comes in a variety of forms that include oral and topical drugs
- Immunosuppressants – treats psoriasis and eczema, comes in oral form and sometimes injections
- Salicylic Acid – treats acne and warts, comes in the form of gels, lotions, soaps, patches and shampoos
These treatments can be effective, but some of them come with awful side effects that you don’t necessarily have to endure. Using oils for skin problems may provide you with the same results without any nasty side effects depending on your particular skin condition, its severity and your overall health and well-being.
How Essential Oils Help to Improve Many Skin Conditions
Essential oils have many benefits that can help improve common skin conditions and when used correctly, they are safe to use. The best essential oil for skin care will depend on what problems you’re dealing with, so it’s important to find the cause of your condition before starting treatment. This way, you can choose the best treatment options.
Here are 10 of the best essential oils for skin care and what conditions they treat:
- Geranium– promotes blood circulation, regulates oil production and improves skin elasticity – excellent choice for treating acne, wrinkles and eczema
- Frankincense – has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory properties, encourages new cell growth and helps to tighten skin – use for treating acne, improving skin tone and reducing wrinkles
- Neroli – contains rejuvenating properties – use to treat acne and to tone and smooth the skin
- Carrot Seed – soothes and rejuvenates the skin – great for improving skin tone and fading scares
- Myrrh – contains anti-inflammatory properties – it helps to heal eczema, rashes and dry, sun damaged skin
- Lavender– regenerates skin cells – great for wrinkles, scars, sun spots and diaper rash
- Ylang Ylang – has regenerate properties and helps to regulate the body’s oil production – great for acne and reducing wrinkles
- Patchouli – promotes new cell growth – treats psoriasis, acne and eczema
- Rose – contains anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial compounds – great for psoriasis and eczema
- Tea Tree – has antibacterial properties and helps to regulates the body’s oil production – an excellent choice for treating acne and fungal infections like athlete’s foot
When using essential oils for the face exercise caution. Your face is very sensitive and most oils are too potent to use undiluted. This is why you need a variety of essential oil recipes that blend the oils with other compounds to make them safe to use.
Using essential oils for dry skin or other conditions that affect the skin can have a positive effect on your overall health. They can give you back your self-esteem and improve your overall mood and outlook on life. They’re a great alternative to other treatments that could have unfavorable side effects.
So what helps with actual dry skin?
I need a good deep moisturizer everyday.
Jen, my favorite combination is 30 ml argan oil (you can replace it if you don’t have it), 20 drops lavender oil and 10 drops frankincense oil: use this daily after each hand wash: it will work miracles on your hands 😉
Know I am going to spell this wrong, but what about roacha? My face is so red I look like I have red butterflies on it.
Lynne, can you tell me in what context? I’m not sure what you are asking. If you give me more info, I’ll do my best to find out and help.
She means rosacea I believe.
Yes. That is what I meant. It is red area on my face, by my nose, almost looks like 1/2 a butterfly.