When you first begin using aromatherapy, it’s good to have a list of essential oils to help you get started. These oils are highly concentrated with a wide variety of healing properties that make them a great alternative to using modern medicines. They can help treat or cure a number of physical, mental and emotional problems.
Aromatherapy is steadily growing in popularity as more people are using it to treat many of their health issues naturally. They make a great alternative to modern medicines because they have little to no side effects when used correctly. Many essential oils are similar and they help treat a lot of the same conditions but each one of them has its own unique combination of healing properties.
Below is a list of the top 20 essential oils, their botanical name and the main use or benefit for each one:
- Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia) – enhances mood, relaxes the body, calms the mind, relieves stress, anxiety and tension, treats skin conditions, insomnia, respiratory disorders, pain and indigestion while boosting the immune system and treating the nervous system
- Peppermint (Mentha Piperita) – has the ability to heal all types of headaches, relax sore muscles, clear sinuses, improve digestive problems, treat respiratory conditions and it helps you stay alert, focus, boost your energy levels and freshens your breath
- Sage (Salvia Officinalis) – strengthens the immune system, removes toxins from the body, reduces inflammation, improves the nervous and circulatory systems, helps heal skin conditions, stimulates brain function, improves concentration and enhances memory
- Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus Radiata) – treats intestinal germs, respiratory problems, muscle pain, various skin conditions, diabetes, fever and it helps clean and heal wounds
- Rose (Rosa Damascena)– stimulates circulation, tightens and tones the skin, fights viral infections, stops hemorrhaging, soothes inflammation, inhibits bacterial growth, treats depression, relieves spasms and enhances your mood
- Patchouli (Pogostemom Cablin) – acts as a natural moisturizer, promotes new cell growth, fights depression, kills fungus, relieves fever, enhances mood, eliminates body odors, controls hemorrhaging, fades scars, removes toxins from the body and treats nervous disorders
- Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum Nobile) – creates a sense of calm, eases fear, stress, anxiety, depression, loneliness, anger, pain caused by muscle aches, arthritis and headaches, treats inflammation and insomnia
- Lemongrass (Cymbopogon Flexuosus) – acts as an astringent, treats depression, headache pain, fevers, stomachaches, digestive tract problems, abdominal pain, it kills germs and boost energy
- Clove (Syzygium Aromaticum) – treats toothaches, headaches, earaches, infections, respiratory problems, nausea, indigestion, premature ejaculation, diabetes, boosts the immune system, purifies the blood, enhances circulation and relieves stress
- Tea Tree (Melaleuca Alternifolia) – regulates oil production, treats viral infections, fades scares, stimulates systemic functions, cures colds and coughs and it repels insects
- Cypress (Cupressus Sempervirens) – strengthens the respiratory system and gums, fights infections, eases spasms, promotes perspiration, soothes inflammation while contracting muscles and eliminating body odor
- Frankincense (Boswellia frereana) – promotes digestion, treats colds and coughs, fights infections, fades scars, eases anxiety, menstrual cramps and promotes cell regeneration
- Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens) – promotes blood circulation, cell growth, regulates oil production and improves skin elasticity, stops hemorrhage, reduces body odor, kills intestinal parasites and fades scars
- Cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica) – treats coughs, colds, infections, inflammation, fungal growth, regulates menstrual cycle, eases spasms and removes toxins from the body
- Mandarin (Citrus reticulata) – promotes cell growth and regeneration, increases circulation, fights infection, purifies blood, soothes inflammation and aids in digestion
- Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata) – treats depression, enhances your mood, has regenerate properties, regulates the body’s oil production, increases libido, lowers blood pressure, soothes inflammation, cures sexual disorders and stops sebum secretion
- Hyssop (Hyssopus officinali) – promotes digestion, increases blood pressure, relieves stress, lowers fevers, regulates menstrual cycle, eliminates gas and helps to fade scars
- Myrrh (Commiphora myrrh) – eases coughs, treats stomach problems, fights infection, improves circulation, reduces spasms and promotes healthy skin for a youthful appearance
- Bergamot (Citrus Bergama) – elevates mood, fights depression, relieves spasms, treats pain, heals scars and aids in digestion
- Sandalwood (Santalum album) – known as a spiritual oil, it promotes healthy skin, fades blemishes and scares, elevates mood, relieves anxiety, calms thoughts and creates a sense of peace and well-being
Before using essential oils, do your research. Certain oils can cause sensitization and others may cause irritation or an allergic reaction, especially in people with sensitive skin. Dilute the oils with carrier oils when applying topically. Some oils are not suited for young children and you should not use certain essential oils if you’re pregnant or breast-feeding. To ensure the health and well-being of your family, always use essential oils responsibly.
Can someone tell if these oils listed to aid with scaring how much do I use to make a blend or do I just apply topically, Tia .