Healthy living is a hot topic and finding ways to improve your quality of life is at the top of the list for many people. You can improve your health in many ways: from following a good diet and exercise plan to improving the air quality within your home, which is why more and more people are using essential oil diffusers.
An essential oil diffuser is a device designed to disperse essential oils through the air. They will fill your home with a fresh aroma that will greatly improve your indoor air quality. In addition to freshening the air, these oils offer many therapeutic benefits that can help improve your overall health and wellbeing. Let’s explore some of the advantages and benefits to using essential oil diffusers.
Advantages/Benefits of Using Essential Oil Diffusers
There are many advantages associated with using essential oil diffusers. These cleverly designed units disperse essential oils into the air in a form that you can inhale. When you breathe in these oils they provide therapeutic benefits that can help improve your overall quality of life.
Essential Oils Diffuser Benefits
- Cleans and freshens the air in your home
- Creates a pleasant and relaxing environment
- Improves your mood
- Reduces signs of depression and anxiety
- Helps you sleep better
- Clears nasal and sinus passages
- Boosts the immune system
- Enhances concentration and focus
- Aids with digestion
- Increases energy
As you can see, that’s a lot of good to come from a seemingly simple thing, right?
Diffusers come in all shapes and sizes, which make it easy to find one that is perfectly suited for every room in your home. They’re also made from various materials that include plastic, wood, ceramic, metal and glass. Some of them have LED lights, automatic shut offs and timers. However, there are only four main types of diffusers to choose from. These are explained below.
Types of Essential Oil Diffusers
There are four main types of essential oil diffusers. They use different methods to disperse the oils through the air. Knowing a little about each of them such as how they work along with the pros and cons of each will help you determine which one will suit your needs the best. All four types of diffusers are discussed below.
SpaRoom Aromafier Ultrasonic Diffuser, WhiteWith this type of diffuser you’ll need to place a few drops of oil on a filter or pad. The small built-in fan blows air on the filter causing the oil to evaporate as it is being blown into the room. Here are some advantages and disadvantages to this type.
- They’re easy to use
- They are not very loud
- The chemical composition of the oils is not altered
- They’re not very effective in large areas
- The filter or pad must be cleaned regularly to prevent mold and mildew from growing
- The therapeutic benefits are less than you’ll have with other types of diffusers
Scent Ball Plug in Aromatherapy Electric Room DiffuserThese are similar to the evaporative diffusers except they use heat to make the oil evaporate instead of a fan. Some styles use electricity to produce the heat and others use a candle. Here are some advantages and disadvantages to this type.
- The heat produces a subtle scent that is not overpowering
- They are affordable
- These diffusers are completely silent
- The heat can alter the chemical composition of the oils
- They have less therapeutic benefits than other types of diffusers
Nebulizing Pure Essential Oil Aromatherapy Diffuser, Premium Home & Professional Use, No Heat, No Water, No Plastic – Dark Radiance by Organic AromasThis type of diffuser uses an atomizer or pump to pull the oil up through a tube. When it reaches the top of the tube, it shoots the oil into the air in the form of a fine mist. The oil is dispersed in its purest form so this type of diffuser is a good choice if you want a strong aroma to be present in your home. Here are some advantages and disadvantages to this type.
- They spray a steady stream of oil into the air
- You don’t need to do anything to set them up, just flip a switch
- They do not use water
- They release the strongest concentration of oils, more than any other diffuser
- Great for large areas
- Most have a built-in timer and pressure output controls to determine how much and when the unit disperses the oil
- They use the oil faster than other diffusers
- They are usually louder than the other types of diffusers
- These oil diffusers are usually the most expensive
Aickar Ultrasonic Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser with 500ml Capacity, 7 Changed Color and Auto Shut-off Function – WhiteSometimes called ultrasonic diffusers, these units use electronic frequencies to break down the oil into tiny particles. The particles of oil mix with the water to create a cool mist that is sprayed into the air. Since it is mixed with water the mist is not as potent as the mist dispersed by the Nebulizing diffusers but it’s still a very effective way to distribute the oil into the air. Here are some advantages and disadvantages to this type.
- More economical to use than the Nebulizing diffusers
- They can be used like a humidifier because the water adds moisture to the air
- Uses less oils
- They run quietly
- Your lungs can absorb the tiny particles easy
- Most units have a timer
- You must add water to the unit and keep it filled
- Citrus oils may cause the internal parts to corrode
- They require regular cleaning
- The oil scent is not as strong as the scent produced by Nebulizing diffusers
- May not be a good option for areas with high humidity
It is important to understand that humidifiers and diffusers are not the same thing, so don’t confuse the two. Diffusers are designed to use essential oils for aromatherapy purposes.
Humidifiers help to maintain a healthy level of moisture inside your home. You fill them with water and the unit sprays out a fine mist. Many people use them in the winter when heating the home tends to dry out the air but you can use them anytime. They help to prevent dry skin and upper respiratory problems for people with allergies and similar medical conditions. You cannot put essential oils in most humidifiers. Doing so can and usually will damage to the unit.
Tips for Using a Diffuser
The type of essential oils you use will determine what type of benefits you receive. To get the most from your diffuser, there are a few simple, but important things to remember. Essential oils are proven to have many therapeutic benefits and an oil diffuser provides you with an easy way to disperse them. However, the type of essential oil or blend of oils you use will determine what benefits you receive.
For example, lavender, clary sage and chamomile will help you relax and sleep while jasmine, sandalwood, sweet orange, vanilla and rose will relieve stress and improve your mood.
This is an absolutely fantastic way to ensure you get the right essential oils for the results you are trying to achieve. And remember that you get what you pay for and if you want to do essential oils right, don’t try to buy cheap from unknown sources.
Always buy high quality oils from a dealer you trust. They should come in small dark colored bottles to reduce exposure to sunlight that can cause damage. Quality oils will not contain perfume or added fragrances, they are all natural.
When placing the oil in the diffuser, start out with a couple drops until you determine how strong the aroma will be. You don’t want to become overwhelmed by the scent. Talk to your doctor before inhaling pure essential oil mist to make sure it’s safe based on your personal health situation. Be sure to clean your diffuser regularly and follow the instructions provided by the company to prevent damaging your unit.
Look for essential oils with aromas that you enjoy and that offers the benefits you need. Citrus oils are very popular but if you don’t particularly like the citrus smell, then it’s not a good choice for you. You can use oils separately or blend them together to make new scents. You can buy pre-made blends or learn how to blend them yourself. Growing Up Herbal has some excellent tips on blending essential oils that are very helpful.
How To Choose The Best Diffuser
Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser 400ml Wood Grain Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier with Color LED Lights Changing and 4 Timer Settings Waterless Auto Shut Off for HomeThere are so many different types of oil diffusers to choose from that it can be a little confusing when you’re trying to determine which one is the best for you. There are many different things to look at when choosing an aromatherapy diffuser.
The best essential oil diffuser is the one that accomplishes your goals. When you inhale the vapors dispersed into the air by the diffuser, you’re also inhaling the essential oils. For this reason, the easiest way to choose the right diffuser is to determine how you plan to use it. What benefits do you hope to receive?
For example, If you are using the oils for therapeutic purposes, then the Nebulizing diffuser would be a good choice because it disperses the oils in their purest form. On the other hand if you just enjoy the scent and you love burning candles, then a heat diffuser that uses candles as the heat source is a great option.
Check before buying an essential oil diffuser
- How much area will the diffuser cover – Some units will cover a large area while others are designed to use in small areas so you need to determine how many square feet you want the aroma to fill.
- Automatic shut off – If you stay busy, this feature will ensure your unit shuts itself off when needed.
- Cleaning – How much labor is involved during the cleaning process? Is it easy to clean or will it become a burden over time?
- Timer – Setting a timer can help you use less oil because the unit will only disperse the oils during the time frame you set.
- Capacity – Some units have larger oil capacity than others. Choosing a diffuser with a large capacity will save you time.
- Airflow – This feature allows you to choose how much oil is sprayed into the air and when.
- Ease of use – How easy is it to change the type of oils in the unit? If you prefer to change the oils often then look for a diffuser that makes it easy.
- LED lighting – Diffusers with LED lighting are designed to enhance the ambiance within the room but if the light bothers you at night, then you need a unit without them or one that allows you to cut off the light.
When you consider things like how much time you have to invest in using your diffuser for essential oils and what features you find the most appealing, it will be easier to decide which type and style of diffuser to buy.
Essential Oil Blends and Recipes for Diffusers
Once you have a diffuser for essential oils, you’ll want t experiment with single oils and also try mixing oils to enjoy a full array of scents and aromas. When I got my first diffuser I was like a kid in the candy store: I wanted to try everything! So I did: I started with peppermint oil, my favorite, and a couple hours later I added some lavender, and then lemon.
Later I looked up some essential oil recipes for diffusers and found this citrus blend to be my favorite so far:
- 3 drops wild orange essential oil
- 2 drops lemon essential oil
- 2 drops lime essential oil
- 1 drop grapefruit essential oil
Go ahead and experiment and see what YOUR favorite combination of essential oils is! the come back and share with us 🙂
Examples of Diffuser Brands
Examples of diffuser brands: there’s an explosion of these coming on the market, but a few are tried and true:
Essential oil diffusers provide users with a very easy but effective way to use essential oils within the home. They offer many therapeutic advantages in addition to providing you with an easy and efficient way to freshen and clean the air.
After reading this overview, what questions or concerns do you have about getting started with essential oil diffusers?
Essential Oil Diffuser,URPOWER 120ml Aromatherapy Diffuser Portable Ultrasonic Aroma Humidifier with 7 Color Changing LED Lamps, Mist Mode Adjustment and Waterless Auto Shut-off FunctionCalily™ Eternity Ultrasonic Essential Oil Diffuser Aromatherapy with Relaxing & Soothing Multi-Color LED Light – Perfect for Home, Office, Spa, Etc.Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser 400ml Wood Grain Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier with Color LED Lights Changing and 4 Timer Settings Waterless Auto Shut Off for Home