Use essential oils for cough and congestion, rather than reach for over the counter medicine when you need to ease the pain and discomfort. Coughing occasionally is normal but if you have a hacking or a persistent cough that won’t go away, it’s miserable. It can make your throat feel scratchy and the muscles in your abdomen and chest can get very sore after a few hours of coughing.
Some common conditions that can make you cough include allergies, bronchitis, asthma, sinus infection, colds and whooping cough. If you have or recently had any of these medical problems the cough can linger even when other symptoms have gone away but using essential oils can help.
Best Essential Oils for Cough and Congestion
When choosing an oil to use for your cough you have many options. If you know what is making you cough, then you can look for oils that will help relieve the problem. Otherwise, look for something that will treat the symptoms you have. For example, use peppermint essential oil if you have a dry, hacking cough.
Here are the best oils to use when treating a cough along with how they can help:
NOW Foods Pine Oil, 1 Ounce
- Lemon oil – clear up throat infections
- Rosemary oil – treat coughs caused by medical problems such as bronchitis, asthma and sinus infections
- Myrrh oil – decrease inflammation, loosens mucus in the lungs
- Frankincense oil – clear mucus in the lungs and regulate your breathing
- Lavender oil – relieves respiratory tract disorders
- Eucalyptus oil – decrease inflammation, clear the lungs of mucus
- Tea tree oil – clear infection and decrease bronchial congestion
- Cypress oil – prevent fluid from building up in the lungs
- Rose oil – ease coughs caused by respiratory conditions such as allergies and asthma
- Angelica oil – clear up phlegm from the lungs
- Pine oil – loosen and clear mucus and phlegm from the respiratory tract
- Cedarwood oil – decrease inflammation, clear the lungs of mucus
- Sandalwood oil – clear infections in the upper respiratory system
- Cajeput oil – treat respiratory infections
Learning about the different oils, their natural properties and the benefits they offer will make it easier to choose the best oils for your cough.
Majestic Pure Rose Oil Absolute, 100% Pure and Authentic Therapeutic Grade, 1 Fluid OuncePlant Therapy Cajeput Essential Oil. 100% Pure, Undiluted, Therapeutic Grade. 10 ml (1/3 oz).Angelica Root Essential Oil (Angelica Archangelica or Angelicae Sinensis) 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade – 5 ML
Tips for Using Essential Oils for a Cough
doTERRA Advanced Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser with 15 ml On Guard® Essential Oil Essential oils affect people differently so what works for you may be different from what works for your best friend. Trying different combinations will help you find the best options for you, so don’t be afraid to experiment a little when using essential oils for your cough. Try different oil blends and recipes to see which ones work best for you.
Try using a diffuser to treat your cough and to purify the air. It’s a great way to prevent germs from spreading through your home. You can also relieve congestion by massaging essential oils on your chest and back or you can add oils to your bathwater and breathe in the vapors to help relieve your cough.
Some oils such as lavender, Cedarwood and cypress are gentle and safe for kids. However, some oils such as peppermint and eucalyptus are too strong and you should never use them on young children. Therefore, it’s very important to use caution when using essential oils to treat coughs in children.