Spider veins are not usually dangerous but they can itch and burn causing discomfort. For this reason, most people look for ways avoid them or treat the problem once they occur. Here, you can learn how to get rid of spider veins naturally.
Spider veins are very similar to varicose veins but they are smaller and shaped like a spider’s web. They are located just under the surface of the skin and they’re usually a reddish, purple or bluish color. Spider veins normally occur on the legs but they can also form on the ankles, calves, thighs and occasionally, they will form on the face.
Varicose veins are unusually large, bulging veins that appear mostly on the legs. They twist and wind down the legs and often stick out above the skin’s surface. They can be purple or blue in color or appear the same color as your skin.
How To Get Rid Of Spider Veins Naturally
The best defense against spider veins is to take care of your body. Exercise regularly and eat a well-balanced diet to maintain a healthy weight and to enhance circulation. Find ways to manage your stress and it will help keep your hormone levels in balance. One excellent way to help reduce stress and enhance circulation is with aromatherapy. Lavender and cypress are two good essential oils to use to for this purpose.
You can also use essential oils to treat spider veins. Mix with carrier oil and gently massage into the skin on the affected area. Some of the best oils to use when treating spider veins include carrot seed, lemon, ginger, rosemary, frankincense, lemongrass and geranium. By improving blood flow and stimulating circulation, you can greatly improve this condition.
Here’s a massage blend that will help with spider veins:
- 10 drops cypress oil
- 8 drops lemongrass oil
- 6 drops lemon oil
- 5 drops helichrysum oil
- 3 oz carrier oil
Apply twice a day to the affected area and massage gently.
Coconut oil has the ability to improve circulation and spider veins. Simply warm the oil and massage it into your skin at least twice a day. Spend about ten or fifteen minutes massaging it into the skin for the best results.
Another natural way to treat spider veins is with apple cider vinegar. Soak a clean thin cloth in the vinegar and then wrap it around the affected area. Leave it on for about thirty minutes and repeat twice a day for at least a month.
Spider veins won’t usually cause any major problems but they can be annoying and unsightly to look at. If you or someone you know is dealing with this problem, try these natural ways to ease the discomfort and improve the appearance of your skin.
What Causes Spider and Varicose Veins
Arteries circulate your blood from the heart to the rest of your body where both spider and varicose veins work to carry it back to the heart to be re-circulated. The muscles in your legs help to pump the blood upward but since these veins are working against gravity, the blood sometimes flows backwards where it collects in the veins and causes either varicose or spider veins.
Some of the main factors that contribute to spider veins include:
- Genetics – If other members of your family have spider veins, then you may be at higher risk.
- Your risks increase with age – As you age, your veins may stretch and the valves inside that push the blood upward may weaken allowing it to flow backwards.
- Becoming pregnant – Pregnancy increases the pressure on the veins in your legs, making them work harder to do their job. This added pressure can cause both spider and varicose veins to appear.
- Prolonged standing or sitting – Standing or sitting for long periods reduces circulation and puts pressure on your veins that may result in spider veins.
- Taking birth control pills – Birth control pills and other medications containing estrogen and progesterone may contribute to the formation of spider veins.
- Obesity – Being overweight puts more pressure on your legs, causing the veins in your legs to work harder.
- Circulation problems – Blood clots and other medical problems that affect the way your blood circulates can cause spider veins.
- Hormone levels – Changes in your hormone levels can make you more susceptible to both spider and varicose veins.
Sometimes, spider veins occur no matter how hard you try to avoid them. The good news is that you can treat this condition naturally to eliminate the discomfort and to improve your skin’s appearance.