Essential oils for shingles may help make you feel more comfortable when you have this medical condition. The herpes zoster virus that causes chickenpox is the same one that causes shingles. Most of the time, the rash will appear in a band that goes around the waistline on one side of the body but it will sometimes appear on other parts of the body. Dermatome is the name used to describe this band of blisters.
Shingles Treatment Cream- Nerve Pain Relief Cream- Best Shingles Recovery Cream- Natural- To the Resque Plus- Manuka Honey- Organic-Fast Acting- Shingles No More- Itchy Skin- Non-Greasy- Risk Free Guarantee Shingles can be mild and hardly noticeable or very severe. You may simply feel an annoying itch or the pain may be so bad that you want to scream if anything touches it, including clothing. You may feel a tingling or burning sensation during the first stage of this disease. Some people experience a numb feeling or the area may itch instead of burn or tingle. Within a week, the rash of blisters will appear and that’s when you know for sure you have shingles.
If you’ve had chickenpox, then you could be the one out of every three people who gets shingles. While anyone whose had the chickenpox, even children can get this disease, about half of the people who do get it are around or over sixty years of age.
How Essential Oils Can Help Shingles
Shingles can be very painful so some form of treatment is necessary to get through this tough time. Using essential oils can help by easing the pain and they can help you relax so you can rest easier. They can also reduce the stress that contributes to the problem and some oils have antiviral properties that fight the virus so your body can heal faster.
Five of the Best Essential Oils to Use for Shingles
Body Wonders 100% Pure & Undiluted Bergamot Oil, Therapeutic Grade, 4 Fl Oz Several essential oils have properties that can help treat shingles but some work a little better than others do. You want an oil that can help ease the pain, reduce the inflammation and help your body heal faster.
While you do have several options to choose from, here are five of the best essential oils to use for shingles.
- Bergamot – This oil has very strong analgesic and anti-viral properties that help heal the blisters while easing the pain. It also has the ability to help with the depression that goes along with having this virus, especially if your symptoms are severe, so you can deal with it better.
- Manuka – Manuka oil has anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties proven to be effective against herpes caused by the varicella-zoster virus. Since the same virus also causes chickenpox and shingles, you can use it to treat this disease.
- Clove – Clove has the ability to treat the infection and virus along with the pain, so it’s an excellent choice for treating shingles. This oil contains analgesic, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Peppermint – Peppermint oil contains antiviral properties that are very effective against the herpes virus, which makes it an excellent and effective oil to use for this disease.
- Lemongrass – Lemongrass oil has very strong antiviral properties that are effective in treating shingles. However, if you plan to apply the oil to the rash (always with a carrier oil), lemon balm oil is gentler and less likely to burn or cause discomfort.
Essential oils have many therapeutic properties that may help ease your symptoms until the virus runs its course.
Essential Oils Spray For Shingles
Make this essential oil spray and use it as often as you need for relief.
- 1 oz spray glass bottle
- 10 drops lavender oil
- 7 drops peppermint oil
- 5 drops clove oil
- top off with FCO (fractionated coconut oil)
Radha Beauty Peppermint Essential Oil 4 oz – 100% Pure & Natural Mentha Peperita Therapeutic GradedoTERRA Lavender Essential Oil 15 mlNOW Foods Clove Oil
Tips for Using Essential Oils for Shingles
One of the best ways to use essential oils for shingles is to apply it topically. Before doing so, dilute the oil with carrier oil to avoid irritation. Be gentle when applying to avoid making the blisters worse. Another option is to put the oils in a bottle, then spray it on a soft warmed up washcloth and place the warm compress directly on the affected area.
You can also add the essential oil blend to your bath water or use a diffuser to get the effects of the antiviral properties. When you inhale the aroma, it will begin circulating through your body almost immediately.
Using essential oils to treat shingles may help lessen both your symptoms and the duration of the outbreak. Some oils can fight the virus while others help to ease the pain and discomfort the rash causes. These oils can also help ease depression and put you in a better mood while going through this difficult time in your life.
I didn’t even know I had shingles & decided to use my EO peppermint & put some icotton ball to apply. I was just thinking of my stresses going on!
I’ve had shingles twice and hadn’t even thought of trying EOs for them. If I have another outbreak, I’ll give this spray a shot! Thanks for the recipe!
I used thieves oil on mine and it helped the heal quickly.