It’s funny how many don’t quite understand the concept of ‘Candida’ or Yeast overgrowth. The media doesn’t help, as often we only hear sound bites due to whatever pill or product they are pushing to address the multitude of ‘symptoms’ that can be related to Candida. Today we’ll look at how to cure candida naturally and permanently.
Commercials for ‘digestion and bloat’ are the most common or the ones for better ‘regularity’. That’s all well and fine, but it’s only the tip of the iceberg.
Candida is a yeast-like fungus (bacteria) that tends to hang out in our intestines BUT also travels via the bloodstream to the rest of the body. Which means it is certainly not limited to one or two ‘conditions’ as many think!
The fact is, there is quite a list when it comes to symptoms and I’m afraid what often happens is these get ‘treated’ as an isolated issue – and the underlying cause just continues. Then what do you know, that same ‘problem’ shows up again, or never quite goes away.
Candida Signs and Symptoms
Candida Cleanse 120 Capsules Veggie Caps with Herbs, Antifungals, Enzymes and Probiotics
Some of the more common Candida related symptoms:
- Vaginal yeast infection
- Chronic Fatigue
- mood disorders
- frequent infections
- nagging cough
- memory loss
- canker sores
- joint pain
- nail fungus
- bad breath
- the list continues
Of course, I realize not every bout of diarrhea or headache is Candida related, but it should at least looked at if it’s a common concern.
What Causes The Candida Overgrowth?
Along with what helps treat Candida I also want to mention what tends to cause it in the first place.
- Medications – antibiotics, hormone replacement (yes including birth control) steroids
- Stress – stress increases cortisol production which then can raise blood sugar and yeast feeds off of sugar.
- Fluoride & Chlorine – yes our water! (maybe time for a water filter?)
- Diet – sugar, starches, alcohol, dried fruits, ham, pickles, soy sauce
Fun eh? Well it IS important to know this, as how else can you start making more informed choices? For example if you are on steroids for any reason, antibiotics or birth control, I would suggest one of the herbs below as a daily consideration.
How To Cure Candida Naturally And Permanently
In order to get rid of candida naturally and permanently, you need to stop feeding it and help your body grow healthy bacteria which will control the production of yeast in your body.
Sugar is the main culprit in the candida growth, so start by eliminating all processed sugars in your diet: carbohydrates, candy, soda, deserts, etc.
Then add a good probiotic to help grow the good bacteria that will keep the yeast under control.
Herbal Remedies For Candida Overgrowth
These are my ‘go-to’ herbs that rarely fail. And be aware that while the common fix these days is a good ‘probiotic’ (which I do recommend) as it puts back some of the bacteria we need, the good guys – it often isn’t enough, as it just doesn’t get rid of the bad.
The following herbs however, do help eliminate the over abundance of the bad guys.
- Oregano – I personally use Infused Oregano Oil in liquid but you can find it in gel caps too.
- Pau d’arco – Not as well known to the general public, but used medicinally for almost 2000 yrs. It contains several different compounds, but the most helpful for Candida is lapachol. Taken in tea, tincture and pill form.
- Garlic – Always a favorite garlic has many uses and works nicely as an anti-fungal. Fresh, pill, liquid all help with Candida (I use this garlic pill)
- Olive Leaf -Ok, another favorite, I have a lot of favorites but hey when something works it’s a favorite! AntiViral/Antibacterial also helpful with all forms of the Herpes virus
- Coconut Oil – Honorable mention, just because I love it 😉 Also anti fungal, you want the UNREFINED, extra virgin coconut oil is excellent for many ‘symptoms’ I mentioned above, but also helps to get rid of the unwanted bacteria. Just be sure it’s the unrefined, not refined – as there’s a big difference.
Candida Overgrowth Stories With a Happy Ending
Years ago, my friend’s son developed cradle cap a couple weeks after being born. Poor little guy, it was itchy and unpleasant! He wasn’t sleeping well. The pediatrician gave my friend a few different ointments, none really helped for long. My friend was at her wits end. Since I was familiar, I offered a ‘natural ointment’ that contained a few different herbs (above) and it was based in organic olive oil. She was desperate and I brought it over. Needless to say they both slept well that night. The cradle cap started to clear up within a few days. Sure he smelled like olive oil but so what? 🙂
One thing to mention – My same friend had battled yeast infections off and on for a few years. (Was on Birth control pill for yrs) She was also breastfeeding. Some of this was no doubt passed on to baby. However it NEVER came up with his pediatrician that it could be still aggravated by her issues or her diet. I brought her up to speed on the diet considerations for herself, and some safe herbs she could take and things improved for them both.
The key is to watch your diet AND do some supplementing to get it under control. Some ‘stress reduction’ practices won’t hurt either as it’s a pretty big contributor.
I hope you find this helpful and can be more aware of ‘how’ it all comes about, not to mention if you deal with any of the common symptoms to always consider Candida as a possible concern. I often help with dosaging or suggestions for specific concerns. Natural remedies can be a lifesaver!
Katy Lowe, Master Herbalist
KATY LOWE is a proud mom, read-a-holic, with a silly sense of humor, nature & horse lover, (dreams of a ‘mini-vacation on a real, working farm) Master Herbalist and Mindset Mentor almost 20 yrs, Katy continues to encourage women how to find their own balance in life with natural options. Katy believes we have unlimited resources and potential to redefine our health and our lives. You can learn more at: www.katylowe.com https://www.facebook.com/katyloweholistic/