If you use essential oils for hair, they will help heal split ends and dry damaged hair so you can enjoy shinny, healthy looking hair. While you maybe apprehensive about putting oil on your hair, especially if it’s already oily, using essential oils for hair care is highly beneficial. In fact, essential oils can help improve many of the common problems people deal with such as dry, damaged hair, split ends and scalp irritation.
Essential Oils for Hair Recipe
One of my favorite recipes for hair care is very simple to make and use:
- 8 drops of cedarwood oil
- 7 drops of rosemary oil
- 4 drops of sweet bay oil
- 3 drops geranium oil
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) jojoba oil
Mix well all of the above and use about 1 teaspoon to massage your scalp and hair 3 times a week. If possible, do this at bedtime, wrap your hair and leave in overnight. Wash your hair in the morning.
Cedarwood Premium 100% Pure, Best Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil – 10mlBAY LEAF Essential Oil – 100% PURE Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil – Laurus nobillisMajestic Pure Essential Oil, Rosemary, 4 Fluid Ounce
Here are a few of the most popular essential oils that are good for your hair along with the conditions they can help:
- Cypress – for oily hair
- Peppermint – for oily hair
- Sandalwood – for dry hair
- Thyme – for normal hair
- Clary Sage – for normal hair
- Cedarwood – for normal hair
- Geranium – for normal and dry hair
- Lemon – for normal, dry and oily hair
- Rosemary – for normal hair, dry and oily hair
- Lavender – for normal hair, dry and oily hair
Did you know that lavender oil for hair care can promote hair growth or that rosemary essential oil for hair is excellent for treating dandruff? It can also help your hair grow while making it stronger because it stimulates the hair follicles. There are even essential oils for hair loss that can help your hair grow back naturally.
The rosemary hair oil below is a great natural treatment that will help your hair grow healthier.
Hair Treatment Options
The things you use to clean and style your hair could very well be causing the most damage to it. For example, getting perms and coloring your hair can really cause a lot of damage. Using blow dryers, curling irons and flat irons or using harsh shampoos and styling products will also take its toll after a while. In addition, there are also a number of medical problems that can affect your hair such as seborrheic dermatitis.
The most common hair problems and treatment options include:
- Dry damaged hair – limit how often you wash your hair, use moisturizing shampoos and conditioners and cover your hair when outside to limit exposure to the sun and wind
- Oily hair – use a gentle shampoo designed to help control the production of sebum
- Split ends – use a soft flexible hairbrush, avoid rubbing your hair with a towel when drying and use a deep conditioner weekly
- Dandruff or dry scalp – use a dandruff shampoo and conditioner for your scalp
Finding hair products that are gentle on the hair and scalp can be a challenge. Products that use ingredients such as Propylene Glycol, Sodium, Oleyl betaine and Lauryl or Laureth Sulfate can dry out your hair, corrode hair follicles and irritate your scalp but you do have another option.
How Using Essential Oils Can Help Your Hair
Many hair products contain ingredients that are bad for your hair but essential oils are all natural. They soak into the shaft and hair follicles to restore its natural beauty. They can help soothe the scalp and heal damaged hair so you can have the shinny, healthy looking hair you always wanted.
Essential oils can improve the condition of your hair by:
- Promoting hair growth
- Moisturizing the hair and scalp
- Strengthening the hair shaft
- Soothing irritation
- Improving circulation
Essential oils can gently clean your scalp and repair damaged hair, making it look radiant. However, due to the potency of these oils you’ll need to mix them with a carrier before using.
Some of the best carrier oils include:
- Cocoa butter
Finding the best oils for hair care may take a little time and some experimenting but once you find the right recipe, you’re sure to be happy with the results.