Essential oils for autism will safely and effectively help you manage this disorder. Autism is the term used to describe a group of disorders that affect the way the brain develops throughout childhood. Children with this disorder usually begin showing signs between two and three years of age. It’s important to begin treatment as soon as possible. Early treatment can greatly improve your child’s communication skills, social skills and ability to learn.
Signs of autism include:
- Repetitive behaviors
- Difficulty communicating
- Throwing tantrums
- Violent mood swings
- Poor motor skills
- Does poorly in social situations
- Prefers isolation
- Avoids eye contact
Many people believe autism essential oils to be an excellent treatment option for this disorder due to all the benefits they offer.
Treatment Options for Autism
There is no one set way to treat someone with autism. It depends on what type of disorder they have and whether it’s mild or severe. It will also depend on if they have any other major health issue that you’ll need to consider. Another thing that makes it hard to treat autism is that it changes over time, so it’s important to re-evaluate often.
Some of the most common ways to treat autism include:
- Medications – treats depression, hyperactivity, anxiety and similar problems associated with autism
- Speech therapy – improves language and social skills
- Behavioral training and management – uses a variety of techniques to improve communication and behavior
- Physical therapy – improves motor skills and coordination
- Occupational therapy – helps patients understand and process the information received by the senses in a more productive manner.
A structured treatment plan will help parents learn how to communicate better with their autistic child so you can understand and give them the support they need. You can learn more about these treatment options for autism and how they can help at WebMD. In addition to these treatment plans, using an essential oil for autism can make a big difference for the whole family.
How Essential Oils Can Help
Aromatherapy for autism has many benefits for both young and older autistic patients. Some of these oils have a calming effect that helps with anxiety and stress related issues so you can manage these symptoms a little easier. They also help the parent or caregiver for an older patient by helping them to stay focused, relax and rest better at night.
Here are some of the best essential oils for autism:
- Peppermint – helps reduce fevers and relieves stomach pains and migraines, has a calming effect and improves focus
- Vetiver – calms you down, controls anger and reduces irritability
- Frankincense – stimulates the limbic system and improves mood
- Lavender – calms and relaxes the nervous system and helps you sleep
- Peace and calming – helps with anxiety, depression, stress and insomnia
- Cedarwood – calms, purifies and helps you relax
Embracing the Spectrum has more details on how these oils help with autism and the benefits they provide.
Grounding Diffuser Blend
One of the most popular ways of using essential oils for autism is with a diffuser. They disperse the oils into the air where you can breathe them in and begin receiving full benefits immediately.
Other ways to use oils for autism includes applying topically, inhaling and mixing with a carrier oil to massage the oils into the skin. Regardless of which method you use, essential oils can enhance any treatment plan you’re already using.